Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 3: Day before the Independence day


 
After spending half of my Saturday thinking where to go and then realising that I don't have enough time to go anywhere in case I want to come home before dark, I was not so happy.

And then Lucy (Lucia) - my house mate, knocked on my door and said she gonna go to town. Yey!! We were supposed to go to a mall and then to Coyoacan (realy nice neighbourhood) to eat, but we had to change some of that.

Saturday was the day before Independence Day and it has a tradition of being in the down town and shouting "Viva Mexico!". A president says a speech and so on. Still, the locals (people from my house) told me that it's not safe because of the amount of people and the possible shootings in the centre (some people are not very keen on 'el presidente'). So we decided to have a nice celebratory dinner at home.

This meant we need a celebratory soup. It takes the whole day to make, so we'd better get it from a nice restaurant.  And so we went there.

It was nice, because I found out how the Metro works here. Which is very simple and very cheap ($3 = 0,18 eur)

And then we saw the restaurant.


The mob in the middle is the one waiting by the restaurant


There were two crowds - one to get inside to eat, another waiting for a take-away. We were a part of the second one. And we were waiting for at least an hour to get that soup. Most of the people had their own containers and so did we. But with asking for 4 litres of soup we were very humble. I saw a man with three normal-sized plastic buckets. That makes it 30 (!) litres of soup.
Luckily we've got a taxi home, so it was fast, cheap (1eur) and very easy on my hands.
And an hour later we were having a very nice Mexican dinner while watching TV - greetings and music (and boxing) on a Mac.
Strangely (or not) very special Mexican soup was taken with Coca-Cola. It didn't matter that they have a 'mui rico' (very tasty) fruit drinks here in Mexico - they are very popular. But apparently not on such a celebration.
The soup contained some kind of liquid, corn, radish, chicken, lettuce and spices. I've also ate that with a crisp with cream cheese. Very Very good!








P.S. We did go to Coyoacan after bringing the soup home. But this will be in my next post.



No comments:

Post a Comment