Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day 56: Alter Ego

There are days WHEN and places WHERE people ask my name. That's usually at the take-away places on the the days that I don't feel like cooking.

And so time after time I tried people to get my real name (Gintare). Well, actually I only tried it once and understood that won't work, because the answer was WHA'?!

So I've tried a short version "Gin". After a few times I gave up on that too. Probably because I've got a cup with a name "Yinn".  That's sort of Korean...
I've tried "Gin" again next time and became known as "Juin". I figured I need a new name.

I've started an experiment "what is the best name for me in Mexico". So far the winner is "Alex".
I've used my second name Pauline, but became Polin and PouLin. Again, kind of Asian...
"Alex" was usually a success, but I've got ALE' WHAT? once and then I was told unisex names are very popular with transvestites here. So.... no.

Since it's Christmas at Starbucks (on day 57) I've tried Christmas names. Housemate meeting suggested Ms Claus (or just Claus), Santa, Cringle, Marry, Star (or Estrella (spanish) - short would be Stella), as well as Holly Bush, Angel, and Chris Mastree (or "just Chris"), while Google found a "make your name an Elf name" website, where I figured I should call myself Marry Monkey-Buns from now on (my housemates are Happy Sparkly-Toes and Sunny Crazy-Legs). What a great company we are...

And so, I was proud to order a Christmas Hot Chocolate for take-away as Chris.

Yes, non-Mexican names are not a great success. Although "Alex" worked pretty well. Maybe I should try be Blanca, Rosa or Gloria next time. I mean, if they already think of me as Korean, maybe they could start thinking of me as Mexican? Or at least Spanish? I don't have much hopes on that.

Do you have suggestions for a new name?

No comments:

Post a Comment