Thursday, November 29, 2012

Day 78: Secret Spot

I flew to Puerto Escondido today. Puerto Escondido used to be called Punto Escondido, which is literally Secret Spot, and I really understand why. Honestly, Puerto Escondido is the third largest beach in the world (or so I was told) and it's very popular with surfers. That makes it not very "secret", but it's not the point.





Point is, Secret Spots are usually kept secret because of how great they are, and trust me, this is fantastic!



I haven’t done much today, actually. But I did swim in the Pacific Ocean today for the first time. So I can proudly say I have swum in 3 out of 4 oceans in the world. And do not have a dream of swimming in the Arctic. I was very surprised by the warmth of the ocean here. It was about 28C, I think. Basically, it’s as warm as the air. And since the air is very VERY humid, there isn’t a great difference between being in the water or on the shore…

Also, I have forgotten how salty the oceans can be, so jumpig in the Pacific was kind ofa surprising reminder. Just so you get me completely, the water is Extremely salty. You could marinate meat or make pickles in that water without adding anything else.
So far I was  dazzeled by the spirit of the town. I already met a few nice people, whom I might not meet ever again (maybe on the beach this weekeend?), but it doesn‘t matter , because so far it‘s about the surfer-holiday mood I‘m in.

And tomorrow I‘m getting my surfing lessons.  OK, I don’t assume I will be as good as these guys immediately, but since I am in a surfing town I should definitely learn how to stand on a board. So wish me luck!










No comments:

Post a Comment