Thursday, November 15, 2012

Night 64: The earth has moved!

6.0 earthquake woke me up tonight. I didn't really get what that was, but it made me feel dizzy, since my bed moved up-and-down and then to the sides. It lasted about 30secs.

I was thinking "Is that an earthquake? Should I get out of the house? I need to grab my keys to not lock myself out... No. Probably it's just another huge truck passing by. Everyone else is sleeping. If I go out to the street that would be strange..." So I stayed in bed. "Please don't be an earthquake. Please don't be an earthquake. Just stop. Don't move."



And then it stopped. I checked the time - felt like I had just fallen asleep, but apparently I slept for over 3 hours already. It was 3.20am. I decided to ask my colleagues in the morning if that was what I thought it was or not. Apparently it was. And my boss told me that the up-and-down earthquakes are the worst and my house could have collapsed... Fortunately it didn't.

Thing is, I felt a 2.1 earthquake a few years ago back home. Here it was 6.0 (in the morning people said it was announced to have been an 8.0, and that made it the worst in a few years. But Google has a different opinion.) and it didn't really get how major that all was.

That's probably because I thought I felt a few tiny (~3.0 magnitude) earthquakes, but I was told it might as well be huge trucks passing on the nearby street, because that's what they do during the evening and night.

So tonight I didn't run out of the house. Luckily there was no damage done.

No comments:

Post a Comment