Friday, October 5, 2012

Day 17: El Sombrero

One of the stalls in the Mercado de la Ciudadela was a hat stand. I really wanted to get a Mexican hat. Not the really big one and shiny, but just a very nice one. And it worked. The hats-only stand is right on your left, just as you enter the market. A very nice man is running it. I think I've spent there about 40 minutes, choosing the best hat. He has leather ones, palm-weaved ones and velvet ones too. And so many different types of hats! Basically, all hats are called "sombrero", because it literally means "hat", so if you're thinking about a Marriachi's hat - it's "Sombrero de Charro" - a bullfighter's hat. Or a "Sombrero de Charra" if it's for a woman. I've tried the Sombrero de Charra on and, oh boy, was that heavy! I think it weights a kilogram or so. So it takes time to get used to it. I've got myself an amazing Sombrero Borsalino for (as I've wrote before) only $10.
A great deal for a great look!


And the man had a few extra moves to make the hat nice to wear: he softened the crown by hand and bent the inside for more comfortability.

No comments:

Post a Comment